12.26.2007

Love and Society

Ok, I am not one to really get into this topic too much, simply because everyone has their own opinion, and there is nothing ANYONE can do to change another person's idea on the subject.

I saw the whole Jamie Lynn Spears thing, and I wasn't really shocked. I mean, I have taught at a school of pregnant teens, and they were just like any other teen, except...pregnant. It wasn't a big deal. I didn't treat it like anything out of the oridnary, and so I earned their trust. It was a very cool experience.

This is what I don't understand, in school, when teaching about sex, abstinence is the primary thing that is taught. Everyone gets all bent out of shape, and then somehow Jesus gets thrown into the picture! I mean, really, WTF?! How about talking to teens about emotions, and neediness, and want. Talk about lust, and love, and the difference between the two. Talk about the need to feel love and where to get it besides in sex. Talk about the human nature, and the necessity to feel touch. Talk about weakness, and rage, and all the things that are the tipping point to initiating sex. Teens don't want to hear about diseases that they "might" get, or memorize the sex organ names and parts. Teens want someone who approachable, someone who won't judge them or tell them that they are stupid. Teens know. They want to feel love. They want to feel pleasure. They want to feel adult. They want to feel sexy. Tell them it's okay to want to feel those things. It's natural and normal. And you know what? It's natural and normal to want to have sex. Don't tell them NOT to do it. Tell them to really think about it.

Teach both sexes that they should be proud of who they are. Teach self-love (no, not THAT kind of self-love). Teach respect for yourself and others. Start when they are small.

The more I think about it, the more I realise that it all comes back to the parents. And I can guarantee that I will not be a perfect parent. But I will try, and I hope that I can teach my children through action that love is something that comes in many shapes, colors, and sizes. And that who they are, just as they are, is a wonderful thing. And that it's okay to feel emotions, but it's important to remember that emotions plus action, without thought, is the reason wars are waged, that suffering occurs, and that less that optimal events occur. I have great hope for my future children, because I shall raise them to be independant thinkers.

Karma is a bitch, and if you punish your children with factless emotion, you shall only reap what you sow.

Love and Contraception,
Mimi

No comments: