10.22.2006

Marie Antionette...

I don't know how many of you are planning on seeing Sofia Coppola's film version of the biography of Marie Antoinette. However, I how I can convince you to see it, because if you are familiar with her life, then you could appreciate this film.

I read several different reviews of the movie, and they were awful grim, but I don't believe that the people who reviewed it knew what the hell they were watching. Coppola was trying to convey her life, not make it a "based-on" film. In the beginning of the movie, you'll note that the camera work is sort of blurry and shaky. This, in my opinion, was purposeful in order to show how Antoinette slowly transitioned from being an Austrian Empress' daughter, to being the Dauphine of France. The foreground and middle ground (the "Austrian" Antoinette and her carriage) are blurry while the background (France) is sharp. So be patient in the beginning because I promise it has a point.

The dialogue is very minimal compared to other films, but at times it is difficult to hear everything because during certain scenes EVERYONE is talking. This was probably to reference the gossipy nature of Versailles. What is important to pay attention to is the body language and the subtleties of each character. You'll notice that the character of Marie Antoinette is really a victim of circumstance, and understood that her only real job was to give birth to a dauphin. If she could have successfully done this very quickly, the French Revolution may have been pushed back a few hundred years. However, her husband Louis XVI, had a bad circumcision and had painful erections, which caused him to be distant and unable to be intimate with her. Antoinette was very young when they married, only 14, and it is also wise to recall how awkward you felt at that age. Can you imagine having to give birth and have sex in front of the entire pageantry of Versailles at 14? I don't think very many of us would really WANT to endure that. She did find comfort in escaping to the Operas of Paris and decadent parties where gossip was not only about her. While watching the film, notice the expression on her face while watching the Opera. It is full of wonder and awe.

Antoinette tries to make the best of her marriage and her position, but again, she was a victim of circumstance. How would you like to be the Queen (or King) of a country that you know nothing about, that is on the brink of a monarchical overthrow? I most certainly wouldn't. What I think Coppola was trying show was the absurdity of everyone around Antoinette and what a tough cookie she was. It does not show her beheading but does not need to. All that you need to know is that Versailles fell apart which is represented by the last scene in the film. I will of course let you find out what that is by yourself.

Other than that, the sets and props were breath-taking, as well as the costumes and wigs. I thought that each charactor was very properly dress for their personalities as well as the time. The set was spectacular, and each detail was taken into account. If nothing else, see this film for the gorgous costumes. You leave the theatre wishing hats and corsets were still n fashion. I know I did. (Tempting as it was, I resisted the urge to put on my hoop skirt....)

I hope you'll all see this film, because it is a great tale. If Marie Antionette lived right now, she would be the most gorgous goth/indie/punk/emo girl ever. And I am sure she'd have pinbk hair!