10.27.2006

I like popcorn...



My pirate name is:


Calico Mary Rackham



Often indecisive, you can't even choose a favorite color. You're apt to follow wherever the wind blows you, just like Calico Jack Rackham, your namesake. You have the good fortune of having a good name, since Rackham (pronounced RACKem, not rack-ham) is one of the coolest sounding surnames for a pirate. Arr!

Get your own pirate name from piratequiz.com.
part of the fidius.org network


Hahaha! I just thought it was funny...^

So this evening Stefan and I went to see "Running With Scissors" with Emma and Spencer, an adorable (and painfully shy) couple from Ringling. Stefan is friends with them, and I am apparently the outgoing one of the group! I know, right?!

Anyway, the movie was great. The whole premise is this kid Augusten (wonderfully played by Joseph Cross) who has an alcholic father and a mother who is like->[]<-that close to the brink. Annette Benning plays Deirdre, the unstable mother, and I would give her the Oscar in a heartbeat for this portrayal. Deirdre goes to Dr. Finch(Brian Cox) because she believes that her husband, Norman (Alec Baldwin) is comprimising and suppressing her talent for poetry.
Dr. Finch hands Deirdre many pills, and convinces her to hand over custody of her son, Augusten to him. Augusten lives with Finch and his whacked-out family in a shabby house that seems reminiscent of a horder's. Finch's daughters, Hope(Gwenyth Paltrow) and Natalie(Evan Racheal Wood), have complicated and hilarious neurosis of their own. Jill Clayburgh, who plays Agnes, Finch's not-particularly-attractive wife, is probably the only mediocrely sane person in the house besides Augusten.
I don't want to give away too much about this one. I do though, highly recommend everyone see it. If not now, at least Netflix it or rent it later. There are some parts that are sortof scary if you are a pansy like me, but all-in-all just very gripping and funny. And I like that this is not just a chick-flick tear-jerker. The manliest man can watch this movie, and not feel like it was too mopy. Here's what is required of the veiwer though: 1.)Don't jump to conclusions about each charactor. You will be sorely mistaken. 2.)You are by no means going to sit through this film and not be just a little creeeped out at how fragile the human mind is. We all have the possiblity of being one of these charactors. 3.)Understand that not all people with a doctorate are good doctors. Just keep that in mind. 4.)Don't leave until after you see all the charactors' outcomes. At the end they show each charactor and tell you what happened to them. It is funny. Just finish your popcorn.

So I hope that everyone sees it, because it reminded me how overmedicated we are as a nation, and it also reminded me how our attitudes about life shape us. By the way, did you know that less than one percent of all people who are on mental/psychological medications actually need them? I heard it from a very reputable source- a psychologist.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a GREAT movie. I will rent it when it comes out as I do not get to the movies much.

About to many meds, you are corect! I worked at the state hospital in Arcadia for over 3 years and you bet there are too many people with too many meds! Alos worked and ran a group home in Washington state and some meds are good and some are not!
Alice