10.19.2006

If I won the Lottery



I was watching a show (there was nothing on...) before I had to pick up my little brother and his goofy friends from Geek fest.[FYI- Geek fest is a Thursday night gathering for geeks at a comic book store where they play D&D, Warhammer, and tell fart jokes.] So anyway, I was flipping' through the channels and came across a show that profiled the lifestyle changes of people who'd won the lottery. Which, of course, got me thinking. (Why else would I post about it?)

If I won the lottery, I have several things that I would definitely NOT do. I wouldn't quit my job right off, because that's silly. Also, I would not make any big purchases for a while. And the big one, I would not tell anyone until all contracts, and prize winnings were in my name.

Then I would do some hiring. I would hire an accountant, and a lawyer, and a person to keep watch over the both of them. And I would not just get anybody, either. It would be stupid to hire just whomever. But yes, I would do me some hirin'.
Then, once everything cleared, I would pay off my parents house, so they could sell it and move outta this stupid state. All debts that my immediate family owed would be paid off, and we would go out to dinner at someplace that we had never been to, just to celebrate.

Stefan and I would get married. That would just be it. Now, that's not to say that I would spend a fortune on my ring, because we'd probably just get nice simple titanium rings and be done with it. I'm a simple girl. I don't need a big-ass diamond to get stuck in my hair every morning. (BTW, even if I won the lotto, I'd still dye my own hair at home.) SO then we would have a really nice wedding, and splurge a bit on it. I think if I had the money, I would love to have a really great party for my friends and family. That's what a wedding is anyway, right?

Then we would buy a house together on a really big lot. That way, we could build a house on the property for my little brother later on. We wouldn't have a really fancy ostentatious rich-people house. Just something that was big enough to have family over on holidays without poking each others eyes out. Central air, washer/dryer, 2-car garage, and a place that I could squeese in a sewing room. That's really all I seek. I would also pay for Stefan's mom to go back to Slovakia so she could take care of her mom for all long as she needed to. She would like that.

So then there's my "career". I would go nuts sitting at home buying stuff off QVC, so I'd much rather do something constructive. I would buy a studio and gallery space in Towles court(or someplace like that) and paint and draw all day. I would also write. Mostly poems, short stories, and of course, blog posts. I would have gallery shows with wine and cheese, and little quiches. I would also take classes to feel more cultured. I would take millinery classes, a class to learn how to make wedding cakes, a pottery class, some writing classes, a film-making class and whatever else I felt like learning how to do. (By then I would've quit my job, so I'd have more free time) But yeah, I would just create all day. And I would live like a starving artist. Without all the starving....

Then, after a couple of years went by, I'd start having kids. I think I would be a mom sooner if I won the lottery. I would have more energy to. But of course, Stefan would have to agree with me on this. I certainly couldn't do that by myself!

Amongst all of this I would start a scholarship program for sexual abuse victims, and I do a lot of philanthropy work. I think that since you can't take it with you, you might as well be able to say you did some good with it. I like feeling like I did something good and worthwhile.

If Stefan wanted something different, that would be okay too. I'm not picky. And I would let my mom do what she's always wanted: buy tons of tacky lawn ornaments and fill up her front yard, and spend all day ordering from catalogs. I would get her a huge sewing space all her own too. And I would pay for my dad to be able to retire and do some things he's always wanted. I think he would like to live in the Carolinas and be Norm Abrahm from "This Old House". Which I'm sure he'd watch on PBS every morning...and "NOVA" after his nap.

I have a lot of things I'd do if I won the lotto. Now all I need to do is buy a ticket, huh?

No comments: