8.11.2007

Rant...

...not like anyone reads this anyway. I ask everyone to, but nobody ever does.

My entire life I have been responsible for my brother. If we were in the store, it was my job to make sure he didn't grab stuff off the shelves. When we went to our gradparents' house in Texas, it was my job to make sure he didn't crak his head open in the pool, or get lost in the airport. My entire life has been making sure he didn't fuck up. Well now he's sixteen and there's not much I can do to ensure he doesn't fuck up. And sure enough, he has.

I am quite disappointed in him. He failed three classes, and therefore is not a junior this year, and is rather, a sophmore again. This would not have been so shocking if he hadn't been assuring me he was going to graduate on time all summer long. I, of course upon finding this out, am outraged. I have made such an effort to try to help him in anyway I can, but he just sits there, looking at me with a dumb blank stare, as though he's not really listening to me but instead imagining my head exploding.
Whats more, he believes that he is going to suddenly beconme some big hot-shot writer or film-maker, but he's made no efforts do try either. He writes, but only for himself, and doesn't ever check out books or anything on how to advance his writing skills. I read some of his work and it's all over the place. By no means organized and thought out. Nor, has he made any attempts to look into filmmaking outside of his TV production class, which I'm sure he's planning on taking all year long for the rest of his high school career. And yet, he flunked World History, and two foreign languages. He tells me that he's talked to guidance counselors, and they've all said that foreign language is not required to graduate, but is no excuse for flunking both French and German.
I have esentially stepped up to the plate as far as getting on my brother's academic case, simply because my parents can't. My dad works too damn hard to deal with his petty bullshit, and my mom simply has too much on her plate to emotionally deal with it. So I get left looking like the crazy bitch from hell, just because I'm, the only one that is able toi care. And I care because he's my little brother, and when he fucks up, I might as well have.
So now I am sitting here, printing out about fourty pages from the Riverview Program of Studies Guide, so that I can do what my brother should have months ago: figure out what he needs to do to graduate. And I'm still going to seem like thew bitch, because I am trying to help but it'll come off as nagging. Pardoxical, yes, but what the hell can I do? Damned either way. But I'll do it because it's my job.

No comments: