9.19.2006

When You Must Choose...

For the past few years I have struggled with what I would like to do in my life. I have a pretty interesting list of careers that I am thinking of pursuing, but I can't seem to narrow it down to just one thing.


My list of possible careers:

Fine Artist(My first love)
Writer(I like it and I am good at it)
Aestatician(I have a strange obsession with popping zits)
Psychologist(Money + security)
Teacher(consistent work environment)
School Counselor(great hours and better pay than a teacher)
Hair/Nail stylist(pretty good pay, quick training)
Laser Hair Removal Technician(very good pay, quick training)
Entrepreneur (limitless possiblities)
and others...


What I always come in conflict with is the fact that I don't feel tha I could make very much money doing something that I am absolutely passsionate about, and security is very important to me. I would be a fine artist in a heartbeat if I felt that I could live doing it. I don't object to combing careers or having several careers, but I need to at least figure out a means of making a living.
It's almost getting to the point of going to my plan b: This upcoming summer, take out a student loan to go to aestatian school ($4,000) and working as an aestatisian while I go to school. (I can't work for Target the entire time I'm in college...)Now, this is not particularly a bad plan. In fact, it's probably a very good plan, except for one thing--I still don't know what I would be going to school for.
I think I declared myself a Psychology major, but I am taking a General Psych class, and I don't think I'm really enjoying it that much. I have yet to even open the book. The last thing I want to do is spend thousands on an education for a career I hate.

Which leads me to this. What I enjoy doing:

Reading Magazines
Painting, Drawing, Knitting, Crafting
Coloring my hair
Painting my nails(if I haven't chewed them off...)
Looking online at retro clothes
Playing Solitare
writing poems, short stories, and one-handed reads.
Staring off into space
dressing up nice
going to craft fairs, medieval fairs, and gallery shows
watching plays,musicals,movies
Eating!
Kissing Stefan
NEW SHOES!!!
Hats, gloves,socks,costume jewelry, etc.
Going to boutiques, consignment stores, goodwill
Listening to different kinds of music
and lots of other things


I have lots of ideas for really fantastic buisnesses, but I don't know how I feel about them. Excited, protective, meloncholy...I am not much of a risk-taker.

I want to skip 18-24 and just be done with school, have my life planned out and sleep for about four weeks. It's just so hard to focus on school when your head is in a million other places. But I won't quit. It's not me. I owe it to myself to do well, and I want to do well. If I only knew what one thing it was that I wasnted to do well, I'd be all set.

No comments: